We all know that angle is everything when it comes to how our chins look. One wrong twist and you end up with folded skin or worse a double chin.
But sometimes, you just can’t deny it. You wake up in the morning, take a look in the mirror, and notice that the skin around your neck is indeed beginning to wrinkle and sag.
You might have the beginning stages of the dreaded turkey neck, a vulgar term for a natural aging process. Fortunately, you can take measures into your own hands to help reduce the signs of turkey neck.
Keep reading to learn more about how to get rid of turkey neck. You may not be able to reverse all the signs of aging, but some of these methods can help. Remember that aging is a natural part of life, and you are beautiful no matter your age.
What is Turkey Neck?
The skin around your chest and chin is the décolleté. Most people think the first place you start to see signs of aging is on your face, but that’s not true. Your décolleté is exceptionally delicate and is the first place to begin wrinkling and sagging.
As you get older, the muscles in your neck weaken, and your skin starts to lose elasticity. It can no longer stretch or stay tight. It begins to resemble the wattle of a turkey and develops in your 30s or 40s.
Turkey Neck differs from a double chin, which happens when fatty deposits build up in the neck area. That said, excess fat in this area can give the appearance of a turkey neck. Your doctor may recommend treatments that suit this particular problem.
Fortunately, there are a few things you can try to get rid of turkey neck and slow the aging process.
What Causes Turkey Neck
The biggest contributing factor to turkey neck is of course age. As your skin begins to lose its elasticity, so the signs of aging begin to show.
Other factors that influence how soon a person develops turkey neck include genetics, smoking, and sun exposure. Dehydration ages the skin quickly, so it’s crucial to drink plenty of water.
How to Get Rid of Turkey Neck
Getting older is a glorious part of life, but it can leave us feeling a little insecure about our skin. Especially if you develop saggy and wrinkly skin under your chin.
Fortunately, you can try a few things to slow down the signs of aging and get rid of that turkey neck.
Get A Cosmetic Treatment
You can visit a doctor to assess which non-invasive treatments will work best for your skin. Once you know what you need, you can have the procedure.
The most common options to help get rid of turkey neck include:
- Sidell – A special laser treatment that contours the neck by breaking down fat and stimulating the skin with heat. The skin begins to tighten as the collagen fibers begin to contract.
- Thermage – Using radiofrequency therapy, this procedure stimulates the production of collagen to firm up the skin.
- Botox- While botox has a bit of a stigma, it has the power to transform your skin when administered by an expert. It works by relaxing the platysmal bands in your skin, making it look firmer and less wrinkled.
- CoolSculpting- Utilizing cold temperatures, this procedure helps destroy excess fat in the neck region by targeting the adipose tissue.
- Non-Ablative Lasers- Most laser treatments only reach the top layer of skin. Non-ablative lasers go much deeper to almost rebuild the skin from the inside out. You can use one of two methods – the N-Lite Pulsed Dye Laser or Fraxel Restore.
- Kybella- One of the best long-term remedies is Kybella. It uses deoxycholic acid to break down fat cells in the neck area. Your doctor will inject it into the affected areas.
- Ultherapy – As the name suggests, the procedure uses ultrasound waves to strengthen the skin around the neck and promote collagen production. It’s the only method that uses ultrasound.
- INTRAcel- This treatment combines radiofrequency therapy with microneedling to help tighten the skin and reduce the signs of wrinkles.
- Laser Resurfacing- Using a CO2 laser, you can obliterate damaged cells on the surface of the skin while promoting regeneration. It’s a much faster treatment than others on this list because it targets specific cells rather than the entire area.
Visit a skincare professional to determine which treatment will work best for your skin and help you get rid of that turkey neck.
Use Specific Beauty Products
You can try several different facial products to help slow the signs of aging and get rid of your turkey neck.
The best ingredient is N-acetyl glucosamine. Most anti-aging and neck care products include it in their products. According to a study on PubMed, 42 women saw a marked difference in the appearance of their skin after just 16-weeks of using N-acetyl glucosamine.
A second study with a larger group of women found that 94% of respondents saw a massive improvement in the skin around their neck. Cosmetic products with N-acetyl glucosamine can help slow the aging process and help you get rid of turkey neck.
You can also try taking prescription retinoids. These products will boost cell turnover and collagen production. They help to thicken the skin underneath your outermost layer.
Try These Exercises
Turkey neck happens when the muscles in your neck get weaker. This is the best news for us because we can do a few exercises to keep the muscles strong and healthy.
Try to do these five exercises every day to get rid of or prevent turkey neck.
- Do the Neck Lift – Simply lie on your back, gently lift your head, slowly start turning it from left to right, and then place it back down. Repeat as many times as you like, making sure not to strain your neck and shoulder. You can also lay on your bead with your head over the edge. Do a few rounds of lifting your neck up and down.
- Smooch the Air – Yep, you read that right. Sit up straight, lift your head high into the air to look at the ceiling, and then send about 20 or 30 kisses into the air. You can repeat this process a few times a week to strengthen your neck muscles and tighten the skin.
- Gulp Like a Fish – Raise your head to the ceiling until you feel a slight stretch in the neck, placing a hand on your collarbone to create some pressure. Lower your head up and down in this way for five rounds.
- Get Your Forehead Pushes In – Simply place a hand on your forehead and push. Try not to move your head at all and hold that position for 10 seconds. Do the same on the other side of your neck. Knit your fingers together, place them at your nape, and push your hands while trying to keep your head and neck in place.
- Chew That Gum – Sit up straight and keep your mouth closed. Slowly raise your head and begin opening and closing your teeth like your chewing gum. Do it slowly for about 20 rounds.
Use Surgical Procedures
If you have a terrible case of a turkey neck or are serious about getting rid of it for good, then surgery might be your best option.
Your skincare professional or plastic surgeon will help you find the perfect procedure for your skin. Some of the most common surgical treatment options include:
- Lower Facelift – This surgical procedure doesn’t target the neck specifically, but rather it helps to redefine the chin. It removes jowling, which is that little bit of skin that begins to sag under the chin and gives the appearance of a turkey neck.
- Neck Band Surgery- A surgeon will stretch the platysma muscles in the neck to reduce the subcutaneous cord-like appearance.
- Chin Implant – Changing the shape of the chin can solve many problems like a turkey neck. It can help stretch the skin to shrink the wattle and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
- Neck Liposuction – Like with other liposuction, this procedure removes the fat in the neck area to reduce the signs of aging and get rid of the wattle.
- Neck Lift – Pulls the skin towards the ears to stretch it out, effectively removing sagging skin.
You can try any of these surgical procedures to get rid of the turkey neck. Consult with a skincare professional or plastic surgeon to see what treatment plan will work best for you.
Tips for Preventing Turkey Neck
You can help prevent turkey neck with a few simple tricks.
- Try to quit smoking
- Drink plenty of water
- Use proper sunblock
- Moisturize your skin every day.
Easy as one plus one equals two. Do these things to slow the signs of aging and prevent turkey neck.
That’s A Wrap on Turkey Neck
We all want the skin on our neck to look radiant. Use these simple methods to slow the signs of aging and get rid of turkey neck.
Be sure to consult a professional for the best advice on what works for your skin. You’ll have the confidence to take that crazy photo from any angle.